Sunday, July 18, 2010

Humility 3

Now I feel like I understand what the definition is. However I do not understand it personally. How do "I have constant need for his support?" (from the 2nd sentence of the definition of humility from the gospel topics on http://www.lds.org/.)

The next sentence of the definition helps...: "Humility is an acknowledgment that our talents and abilities are gifts from God."

How are they from God? Heavenly Father is literally the father of my spirit. He created me.

I think I will explore words of the modern prophets to get a more personal application.

Words of Jesus: Humility by Elder Athos M. Amorim (Ensign, March 2003)

"Humility is one of the dominant principles the Lord taught in the Beatitudes...“Blessed are they who … come down into the depths of humility and [are] baptized. … “Yea, blessed are the poor in spirit who come unto me, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."  (this shows the importance of humility)
"When His disciples asked Him, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” Jesus called a little child to come to Him and chided them, saying: “Whosoever … shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven” (Matt. 18:1, 4). “For he that is least among you all, the same shall be great” (Luke 9:48)."  (these give us examples of who Christ considers to be humble)

These are examples of Christ's humility:
"Jesus always pointed out that His Father was the source of His power and knowledge." When I learn something, it is more than hearing information. It seems to involve some kind of light that touches my understanding. I attribute that to the Holy Ghost which is a gift from God. So Father is the source of my knowledge. As for power, I am trying to think of personally how I have power. Faith is a power. When I pray, for example, to find something, and I find it, that power to find was given to me because of my prayer from Father. How else do I have power?

"At the Feast of Tabernacles, Jesus went into the temple and taught: “My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. … He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him” (John 7:16, 18)." When I talk about truth, I strive to learn and use Father's principles. "My doctrine" I could equate to "my testimony" is not mine but Father's for he taught me through His Spirit. Yes, others taught me but it took His Spirit to recognize the truth and to make it part of me.

"Later Jesus testified: “I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things … for I do always those things that please him. … And I seek not mine own glory” (John 8:28–29, 50; see also John 12:49–50)." I think I understand this. When I sit down to plan my day or think of what I am going to do next, I base my decisions on values that I have learned from Father's principles, not my own whim.

"The Master Teacher frequently warned against pride. During dinner at the home of one of the chief Pharisees, Jesus discerned how those seated at the table thought themselves better than one another (see Joseph Smith Translation, Luke 14:7). He taught them a parable and then said, “Whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted” (Luke 14:11; see also Luke 18:14)." Pride is so tricky to avoid. Even writing my last comment about planning I thought, "Wow, that is pretty good. I wonder if other people do that." I was setting myself up to compare. How can I avoid that? I can turn my thoughts to gratitude for Father's guidance; I can desire to learn from others.

"Jesus taught His disciples of divine humility during their final moments together as they walked to the Mount of Olives just before His arrest and Crucifixion: “I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. … He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing” (John 15:1, 5)." What does the Savior mean by "nothing"? Perhaps I can take it as the opposite of the previous phrase which would be "to bring forth no fruit". Of what fruit is he speaking? Goodness? So if I focus on the Savior as I plan and perform my actions (which I covenant to do when I partake of the sacrament each week, to "always remember Him"), my actions will yeild goodness, my fruit will be good. If I do that which is contrary to the will of Father, I will not produce good fruit. So without the Father, I can do nothing of goodness.

for future study: knowledge, power, fruit

No comments:

Post a Comment